Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 2: Scorn Of the Corn


Day 2 Starting Point – Columbus, IN (Super 8 Motel)
Day 2 End Point – Noblesville, IN (The Lutz’s home)
Day 2 Brewery – Barley Island Brewing Company
Day 2 distance = 72.68 miles

Total distance = 161.55 miles

After yesterday’s difficult ride, Jason and Brennan woke up feeling surprisingly limber and well-rested. This would prove to be incorrect (as noted by this blog entry's title, thought of by Brennan during a more difficult stretch of today's ride). But more on that later. The guys took off around 8:15 am, and Mr. Behler and I laid around, made our way through our 5th viewing of SportsCenter (each time, continuing to complain about how we can’t stand it), and eventually got ourselves together in order to chase down the bikers around 10:00 am.

When Brennan and Jason got to Acton, IN, our lunch stop, it was clear that their optimism from the morning had worn thin. They battled a headwind the entire 40 miles and it took its toll. Luckily we had found a welcoming spot for lunch. And by “welcoming” I mean “NOT welcoming.”


Acton, IN only offers one dining option – Old McDonald’s Café. For being the only restaurant in town, it sure was tough to find. And no, it wasn’t a McDonald’s café, one of those fancy fast-food joints. It was a hole-in-the-wall place, filled with signs expressing country wit like “Welcome to the Nut House” (complete with a picture of a squirrel) and “The Lord giveth, the government taketh away.”

Our waitress was clearly not happy to see us, as she never smiled. We seemed to be bothering her by, you know, ordering food, and, you know, asking for more water, and, you know, paying her. Upon retrospect, we were completely out of line for ruining her day.


After the guys buttered up (I won’t disturb you by explaining what this means), they headed toward Noblesville and Mr. Behler and myself headed toward Roncalli, to see if I could pick up my camping gear.** Long story short: I still don’t have it. Whatevs. We headed to Noblesville and made it to the Lutz home. The Lutz’s are relatives of the Behlers, and have offered their home for the night. Mr. Behler and Jason will stay there while Brennan and myself will stay at the 1459 Club, my humble abode in Indianapolis.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We’ve got a brewery to visit! The Barley Island Brewery is in our near future!


Well, the entire Lutz family (and Amy!!) joined us for dinner at Barley Island Brewery in Noblesville. They had plenty of beers to choose from. I preferred to stick with the ones I know and love: Dragonfly IPA and Blind Tiger Pale Ale. Others enjoyed Dirty Helen's and the specialty beer they didn't even have listed, a bourbon stout of some type. I would rank these beers slightly above Power House last night. But that's just me.


**each summer, I go on a two-week camping trip through the high school at which I teach. This year, I left early in order to do the moustache ride. I left all my gear with the camping crew, and it was supposed to be left at the school for me to pick up today……its whereabouts are currently unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment